Well…that wasn’t any fun. Unfortunately, the headlines from Week 7 were dominated by devastating injury after devastating injury, highlighted by the career-threatening neck injury sustained by Packers TE Jermichael Finley. While the reports have been positive so far, there is no guarantee Finley will ever put the pads on again. This is a heart breaking blow to a very promising career.
While it is important to take a moment and realize just how dangerous this game we all love can be, the NFL stops for no one, and Week 8 is right around the corner. Just like NFL GM’s and coaches who are now forced to find replacements for lost players, fantasy owners need to work the waiver wire to fill the holes (some being massive) in their roster.
Here are our top 5 Waiver Wire Picks for this week:
Jarret Boykin – WR, Green Bay Packers
- ESPN: 1.6%, Yahoo: 33%
- @ Vikings
- Boykin had a huge game for the Packers last week filling in for not just Randall Cobb, but also James Jones. Rodgers has been very vocal of his support for him, and he backed that up on Sunday targetting him early and often. With Cobb, and most likely Finley, out for the rest of the fantasy year, Boykin could be a solid WR3 play for the rest of the year, even when Jones returns from injury.
Jordan Reed – TE, Washington Redskins
- ESPN: 4.0%, Yahoo: 28%
- @ Broncos
- Reed has emerged as the Skins #1 TE, and RG3 has finally returned to form, meaning expect big things from Reed from here on out. He is extremely athletic with strong hands. If you have Jermichael, or Jimmy Graham with his status still up in the air, Jordan is an excellent replacement TE.
Chris Ivory – RB, New York Jets
- ESPN: 13.3%, Yahoo: 30%
- @ Bengals
- Looks like Rex Ryan might finally have that “ground and pound” back he hasn’t shut up about since coming to NY. Ivory is finally healthy, and while he probably won’t break a run for more than 20 yards all season, he is going to get a lot of touches every week. While Geno has been impressive, the Jets would be wise to continue leaning on Ivory, and limit the opportunities for Geno to make mistakes. RB2 – FLEX option.
Mike James – RB, Tampa Bay Bucs
- ESPN: 0.1%, Yahoo: 11%
- vs Carolina
- While the Bucs won’t come out and say it yet, the Muscle Hamster is done for a while, if not the season. While I am not going to say that James is going to come in and put up numbers like Martin did last year, but SOMEBODY has to carry the ball in TB. If you need a plug and play FLEX option, James could be your man.
Darrius Heyward-Bey – WR, Indianapolis Colts
- ESPN: 3.8%, Yahoo: 22%
- While he won’t help you win your match up next week, DHB will have a full 2 weeks of practice as the WR2 for the Colts. With Wayne done for the year, TY Hilton is going to assume the role as Luck’s #1 target, leaving the door open for DHB to slide into TY’s vacated spot. While he will never be known as a sure handed received, DHB is still as fast as they come, and Mr. Luck is only getting better as the season progresses. Big boom or bust WR3 here.
Also published on Medium.